Monday, June 1, 2009

We’re Off On The Real Journey.

We’re Off On The Real Journey.I finally got up @ 0600hrs. Prepped and ready to rock and roll. Lets go, get this show on the road. Gail and Judi were up and gave me the send off. We really appreciated her hospitality. Beat feet out of Newport on hywy 20. Some bun tightening places till I got to Eddyville, about 20mi. Great shoulder from there on. Blew a spoke on the front wheel going thru the rough areas. Gail caught me at the rest stop just over Cline summit. I switched tires, luckily I had the spare from my trek that I had bought from Jess Holler some time back. I was feeling good. Cruized on into Corvallis and found the Hike &Bike shop, picked up a few new spokes and zipped on into Lebonon. 75 mi. day. We became official Wall-Mart parking lot warts. We dry camped in their lot. Very cool. Got very hot today once I left the coast area. Got some sun burn on my arms and legs. Great dinner and clean up and good nite. See Ya!
My wife, Judy, supported me over the years in all of my ventures. Got in and rooted for me, fed me, got me up and going each day. Many things that were needed to get the job done. Before I retired we had talked many times about doing this ride. The last three years I rode many miles, had a couple of nasty wrecks with a few broken bones and many stitches but she was always there to support whatever I had decided to do. She passed away unexpectedly Dec.3rd. 2005, just before I retired. I hung up my wheels for the next 3 yrs. I believe that it was her spirit that told me to get out there and, “Just Do It.” And so here I is. Here’s to you, Judy, Love you and miss you. Just Beyond The Moon!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Dad. All I can do is sit here and cry. I hope this ride is cleansing for your soul. Mom is looking down from the heavens and smiling. I think of all those broken bones and know that it's a miracle your still here to do this great journey. Keep pedaling, Father!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, Dad ended this post with "Just Beyond the Moon." If you get a chance, look that song up. It's an oldie by Tex Ritter and it is simply beautiful and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete