Sunday, June 7, 2009

To My Long Time Best Friend ,Bob Hammon, I am going to miss you for sure.

This day started out great as I left Wood River campground @ 0640. The first 12 mi. set an all time record for me as only 1 pickup went by me that whole time. That’s like driving from Lakeport to Kelseyville and back and seeing only one rig. Yea! Sure! Uh Huh! Maybe in a dream. But I did go through Picabo, Idaho, ho, ho, ho. Yep, right by that one gas station and sports store. There were a few other buildings but the place was smaller than Finley. Remember Picabo anyone? Also along the Silver Creek made famous by Mr. Hemingway. The fishing destination in N. America. A guy told me a story about all of the fishermen that come from all over just to fish where Mr. Hemingway did and they have the grey beards, hats, waders, fly rods etc. Kinda like the Elvis imitators I guess. Oh well, as my uncle used to say, (not Uncle Allen though) every fox for his own hole. Craters of the Moon! Man what a place. I think the aliens would be the only folks that could like this place. Never saw so much lava stacked in one 75sq.mi. area. But! Again! 40mi. and Booooommm! Wind, rain, hail and cold. I left Gail at the visitor center of the Craters and thought I could make it to Arco. Wrong. The weather was not too bad at the center but 5mi. along and I had not dressed for this. Another 6mi. and Gail pulled up and I lifted into Arco. Another KOA. Thank you creator! Arco has grown some since Gail used to live just up the road in Challis. Found a pizza to go and settled down for the night. I did gather up my rain and cold gear as it looks like the weather is going to be about the same for the next few days. Cherry pie for desert, ummmmmmm! See Ya.
A few days before I left on this journey I went and spent a short time with Bob. He was having a difficult time but we got to visit and he was happy for me to be doing this and as we hugged and cried he told me,” I don’t think I’ll be here when you get back, partner.” I scoffed at him and said, “Oh, hell partner, I’ll see you when I get back” He passed away June 5th.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Dad - I was musing today upon you and Bobby and wondering what all kinds of shenanigans you two must've got up to in all your years of friendship. I'm sure us kids don't know the half of it by far ;-)

    I think about Digger Bay and playing on the Cats and the equipment and the dishes being tossed down the hill and can only smile at all the lovely memories. Oh, and Grandma & Grandpa Parsons, too!

    I bet Mom was there to welcome Bobby and they'll keep a watch over you out there on the highways and byways of America. Love you Dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arnold I have been following your travels over the last few days. Always knew you were an amazing person and would succeeded at anything you set your mind to. Thank God for the Internet which has allowed me to track your incredible journey. I was in New York up until Friday then hopped on a plane out to Germany to help Ellen prepare for her move to South Carolina. Her and Chris will be there for about 11 months and then hopefully return closer to home.
    So sorry to hear about Bob I know you guys are good friends.

    Thank you for your three daughters a.k.a. my sisters and Judy and all that you guys have shared with me over the years. It's great to see you biking across the country and I would love to meet up with you on the East Coast or wherever this journey’s finish line is.
    Take care Iwill be checking in each day!

    Louie

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i think of digger bay, i think of all them steps and smoking at the bathrooms:) well pop, i got a nice arrangement off to the family. services are in a couple days, i'll be there for you. i'm glad you were able to spend time with your life long friend before he started his new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mare for doing this for me and for all the other things that you've done. Love You.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mare, I'm glad you can be there. I still remember trying to light up and then having Dad bust us!! Eeeck - I thought we were SO in trouble. Instead, we got a gruff "don't burn the place down" -- oh god, we were only 10 and 11!!

    ReplyDelete