Monday, June 8, 2009

mon.6-8 To the Tracy Fruittramps

on sat. nite we went to an ice cream social. really cool. had a mixed green concoction that was yummmmmy! Tried some more bloging then ready for beddy bye. I was was up early and got on my heavy duty gear and was ready to take on whatever the skys were going to give me,but wouldn't you know it, scattered clouds, part sun and about 42`. Dang! I swhoosed on down the road and really made some decent time. I zipped onto hywy 33E and before long I had gone 40mi. It was cool and my hands were the only parts that got numb. Some hot soup at 42mi. and on to Rexberg. Made several stops as it was another 40+mi. I thought I had it made as it warmed up to about 62' and I had peeled of some gear and put it in the p.u. Gail went on down the road to wait for me. Lo and behold. Behind me popped up a big black cloud and as I attempted to outrun it, I soon found out I could not go that fast, even downhill. I was glad to see Gail parked about 2mi. down the road. Hurry,Hurry,Hurry.
Whew! Lifted on to Rexberg, found Wall Mart, on to Ashton. Found a great food spot that had tons of stuffed animals, log interior, the biggest chicken fried steak I have ever seen and an Idaho,ho,ho, twice baked potato. Gails trout was the size of an icicle fish. Ho! A weird twist here, they did not sell beer or alcohol but you could bring in your own bottle!! So we got our Bud and enjoyed the meal. brought half of it home. Very nice campground for the nite. The black clouds are several miles away but we can still hear the thunder!!!Todays ride got me to the 1221mi.mark. Wow! Thanks everyone for the comments on the bolgs. Skywalker, Skywalker, I sure love you and miss you buddy. Over and out.
In the very old days I was running a packing job in Winters,Ca. and we were packing and shipping apricots. A group of young hippie looking kids came along and wanted a job. I was still carrying that Marine attitude and so ignored these dudes till I really had to use them. When I went to find them they were no where in site. I asked my wife and she told me they had got down to their last bits of money and had gone to call their parents to come get them. I put them all to work and that was the start of another life long friendship. Louie Dituri met and married Donna and they had Ellen. They still live in Tracy and Louie owns a Deli in New York just across the main entrance to the Yankee Stadium. Ellen married Chris who is in the Air Force at this time and getting ready to be transferred back to the U.S. from Germany. Louie is a computer guru and a great musician also. I can't put into words what he and his family mean to me but I believe that we all know just what a great friendship is. Thanks for always being there Lou. See ya in N.Y.


View Old Chief Bicycles across America in a larger map

3 comments:

  1. Sandra your dad will really like the map. He left early this morning and it is a great sunny day but cool. Thanks for all you have done for him. I know he appricates it and so do I. Hello to Jim and Kumo. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. arnold, you have jury duty tomorrow morning:) i called the gal and told her your whereabouts. she says it's the first time she's ever had anyone tell her that they couldn't show up for jury duty because they were biking (their 70 year old *ss) across the u.s. i gave her your blog, she definitely is going to share it around the office. she was tickled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haaa haaaa haaaaa!! Jury duty! What a HOOT. I go on the 7th, Dad, and it's the first summons I've had in 12 years. Guess I'll be the balance for you.

    Well, those Fruit Tramps. Loved those guys. It's amazing how many people my parents took under their wing and opened up our home. LouieLouie is still a part of our lives and has hosted us crazies for Thanksgiving several times. We all miss Bruce, of course. I can still picture the guys on their motorcycles and going for rides on wonderful, warm summer nights. Ahhh, sweet life. I'm so glad you're a part of our lives and hearts, LouieLouie!!!

    ReplyDelete