Monday, June 29, 2009

6-26 Sailing, Sailing!!Whhheeee!

This day I send to Lu DeCristofaro, Son Jim’s mother.

Duck Creek became history and a memory as I glided on down the road headed for the next pick-up point somewhere over there! Gail had to wait for the laundry to open and by the time she got rolling I was in Waupun, WI. Another 10,000 plus size city. We had decided that I would wait for her and from there I decided that we should try for Manitowoc and the ferry as it only crosses twice a day, at 1:15P.M. and again at 12:30A.M. I lifted from Waupun and we had to make a detour for some reason and when we reached Manitowoc we got to the ferry with 10 min. to spare. We paid the ransom and the next 4 ½ hrs we lounged around and pretended to be Marines at Sea. We could not get to our rigs so we had nothing to work on as we crossed. A good relaxing trip with plenty of water to look at but the weather was great and clear, warm with the breeze enough to keep things cool and bearable. It is always amazing to me just how many people, cars, trucks etc can fit on one of them ferry’s with out toppling over or sinking into the water!!!

We picked a route on the map and drove on to the Old Grade, State Campground along hwy 31 where we paid the $6.00 and settled down for the nite. Man! Them skeets, biting flies, and bugs were as thick as the leaves so we broke out the bug gettum and them critters still found places to bite you that were not covered or maybe just barely covered. Lo! Another warm, clear nite but I did sleep good and it was dark.

Sandra and Jim met at Northridge College in L.A. and we met his parents, Joe and Lu, later. At the time they lived on Guadalupe Dr. in S. San Jose. Joe was a bigwig at a semiconductor company and for a time Lu worked at a Dental Office. Eventually they moved to the east side of Sacramento, Ca and there Joe was taken by cancer. Lu moved to Sequim, WA with her daughter and son-in-law, Danni and Jerry. It is hard to think of how many years have passed since I first met them and how little contact we have had since they moved north but Jim keeps in touch with her and we get our reports from him. Sometimes in life we are close to one another yet so far apart. I still respect Lu and I am so very thankful that she gave my girl such a great guy. Thanks. An added note, seems Lu is from Mich. also, am I correct Jim? No idea where though.


View Old Chief Bicycles across America in a larger map

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dad -- yep Lu is from Michigan. Holland, to be exact. She still has some people there -- Bagladi is the last name. Jim hasn't been there in years and years, since before I met him I think. Mostly, those folks came out this way to stay with Joe and Lu. Ruth is from MI too!! Rouge River area is where she grew up but now her folks live in Grosse Ile. Guess you won't have a chance to pop in on them though as you are already zoomed off to another state.

    ReplyDelete