Thursday, June 25, 2009

6-25 Hop, Skip and a Jump! More heat!

This day to my niece LaVonne Fuller.

Man! Did I ever give a sigh of relief as I left the campsite and aimed north on hwy 80 out of Platteville because there was a good 3’ shoulder and it was very smooth. There were some ups and downs as far as the terrain went but nothing my peddles could not handle. About 10mi. out I crossed into another county and I just about fell off of the bike because it was, get this, Iowa,wa,wa county!!! How bizarre is that? And then to add even more laughter to this scenario, the roads were the widest and smoothest roads I have been on since I started riding. Man! Could not believe this! I thought about a really cold beer at the end of the day and as you finish that you tell yourself, UUUMMM!! That was so good, let’s do it again! I racked up some miles though but as I reached the 30mi mark I was heating up and had to take several stops just to pour water over my bod and cool off just a little. Gail caught me at the 40mi post and I took another breather and headed on down the hill to a state campground. I made a couple of side road stops to see what was there but not much so found Gail and Lady at the info center and took another good break. I added 12 more very hot miles and packed it in.

We lifted through a couple of townships as we looked for a campsite. They are far and few between around here but we ended up at Duck Creek Campground, Wyocena, WI. A very nice place with lots of trees and shade. It was 94’ yet and so humid and after one cool one, I took a nap while Gail clipped Lady and really spruced her up. I met another young fella bikin it to the Dakotas and then on to Oregon. He has traveled all over on his Cannondale and talked about his trip from Alaska to WI. Took a couple of summers but he did it and enjoyed it.

We are hoping it is cooler tonight than last nite as it was tough sleeping when it is so hot. I have been slamming the water and gator-aid and energy bars and getting good vittles every evening. I think my middle has shrunk some but my legs have pumped up and my sunburn makes for interesting trails on my face, arms and legs. Gail laughs at my raccoon eyes and I do the same when I see my face in the mirror. Crazy!!! Skywalker, Skywalker good Buddy, it has been very hot and I wish I could go swimming but for now I love you and miss you, over and out.

Tony and LaVonne Fuller live in Cottage Grove, Ore. And have since childhood. LaVonne is my niece by our oldest sister, Martha, who passed away many years ago. I and Judy attended their wedding away back when and I have some of them old super 8 movies of that and their 56/57 Chevy. It still looks and runs great and not too many years back we attended their son's wedding and they used the old Chevy in the get away scene also. Sooo Cool! LaVonne is the head cook at the high school and Tony has worked most of the years at one of the mills. We have enjoyed many a good time and dances with them over the years and look forward to more.


View Old Chief Bicycles across America in a larger map

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dad -- Mare and I are sunburned too! Though probably not as interestingly as you ;-) We were over in Westport a few days ago for a native culture camp that Hillary Renick put together. I only got to go for one day, but it was great! I hope she is able to do another. Mare went for 2 days and I can't wait to hear about the second day. We saw Pat Renick! Had a super time catching up with him. Anyway, I just crack up to think of you with raccoon eyes!! Dad, you MUST email me some pictures, tell me the dates and I will post them to the blog for you. I'm so happy to hear that the roads have improved. I try not to get freaky over the goofy roads and stupid drivers and such, but it's hard to push it all away because it's you out there. Keep being careful with the heat and humidity -- don't want you dehydrated and in the hospital or nuthin' like that, k? Love you! Talk to you soon. Oh, Mare and Dad should be getting here any minute. We are going to the King Tut exhibit at De Young Museum tomorrow morning. Nighty night!

    ReplyDelete