Monday, June 1, 2009

Here We Are! 6-1

Hay, Hay, Hay. Another Monday! Dry camped along the Malheur River several miles down stream from Juntura. Very nice spot and got the generator up and nestled into a quiet evening. The thunder was rolling over the mt. range and a few rain drops came on down but nothing serious. By morning it was hvy overcast but dry so I was up and peddling @ 0630. I had set the alarm for 0500 but forgot that the time was 1 hr. ahead so it was still dark and so I squeaked in another 45 min. The down hill from camp went on for at least 10 mi. and then the high peaks slowly sank into the ground and gave way to a valley filled with farms and hayfield. Found a small yellow bird that had misjudged his flight pattern and timing and was now in bird paradise. I did the right thing and gave him to Gail. Later, I came upon a small rattle snake that had duplicated the same mistake as the bird and his 5 rattles became part of our r.k. collection. Some of the passes do not have the signs so it is hard to tell just what pass I just came over but I can look down and see that for a few miles there is just down, down, down. MMMMMMMM! Love the feel of that cool breeze as I coast down. Also time to gander about the country and take in the splendor of this big country. The day was fast and I think I pulled off an avg. of 13mph. + I caught the sound of a train on my hand held recorder and it was a cool shot. I know I will have some fun with this later on my big recording unit. Got to Vail and took a short break and pushed on down the road. The snake river was the end of the Oregon Trail for me.

Made it about 1300 hrs. ODO is 1414 since I left Lkpt. Kept up the pace as the tail wind was really cool and pushed me along. We did one boo, boo. Went about 10 mi. too far on 20. Should have turned off with 95 and s. to Farmdale. Called Gail, tks for cell service, and got her to turn around and we got back on line. Fd. a good camp spot along the Snake River in Farmdale and the Gal let us hook up for the nite. Pigged out on pizza and mmmm and caught up on our ph. calls and blog and got to talk with my main guy, Beau. sure do miss him. Any hoo, it's time for me to curl up for the nite. Till nxt X. See Ya.

My brother, Avery, is the youngest of us He Men. He lived early on in Lakeport but wound up in Wa. He worked for many years with our Tribe as a game warden and then ran the Tribal Fish Hatchery for a number of years. He still works as the Head of Security at the lumber mill for the Tribe. He has had some health issues over the years but loves his job and so keeps on putting in the hours. He has three of the best sons in the world. I hope that his years keep him strong and happy. Love You, Brother.

3 comments:

  1. ohhhh dad, thank you so much for keeping up with the blogging. sandi and i love reading every word you post. i feel like i'm right there with you. i can feel the calm in your spirit!!! i found some beautiful orange daisies for mom and took them out to her and let her know what you told me. if i ever get the pictures uploaded, i'll let you know where to see them. i love you so much dad and am so happy this journey is what your spirit was yearning for. hugs and kisses. mare

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok pops, go to marilyn-shupe.blogspot.com or you might be able to follow my link from my picture (up there in the left corner:)) to my blog. i posted two pics just for you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1414!!!! wow are you ever churning up some highway.

    gotta know though, what bike(s) seems to be suiting you best.

    ReplyDelete