Sunday, June 14, 2009

6-14 How Far Up?

This day is for our good friends, Danny and Sharon Vaars.

Sometimes I think that I know how those old Indians felt when they found a neat place to camp. Let’s just stay here and not leave for a long time. It was a very nice place and we held off leaving as long as we could, but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Back to Shoshoni and along the way we got some good pics and some great sites. In Shoshoni they were having an old tractor gathering and we looked on for about 15min. then I was headed east on highway 20 again. Wow!!! It was 40 miles of steady peddling with not one down hill. It was gradual and most of the time I was 3-1, 3-2 but it never let up. I did good time in spite of them nasty, mean gutters across the roadway. In some places they call them frost heaves but I call them gutters across the road and they pound the heck out of your lower back. Where is my bone doctor? Dave! Dave! I could use you now. 67mi. and wouldn’t you know it! Another flat in the new tire and tube. Called Gail back and loaded up and we beat it on in to a place called Douglas, Wy. About 44mi. east of Casper, Wy. We layed over at the KOA and I got to work on the tire. What a pain! Three times I had to tear the tire down as the tubes kept growing new holes. No idea where they came from but they were frustrating to say the least. Next time, new tubes and no patched ones. Finally, dinner, hot shower, blog and ZZZZZZZZ.

I met Danny’s sister, Nancy in 1958. We worked in the packing house at the Old Blue Anchor. Later I met Danny. He and Sharon have been married for many years. Danny retired as the postmaster out of Lakeport. Sharon has had some health issues for many years but still gets around and enjoys life to the fullest. I have played music at many of their parties and they have cheered me on whenever I was playing somewhere. Danny is a Chevy man and over the years did a lot of engine building and racing. With friends like these folks, it adds to the greatness of being alive. See you on the next Cruise!


View Old Chief Bicycles across America in a larger map

4 comments:

  1. WHAT!!?? Sahron and Danny aren't related to us? haha, just kidding, it's just so great that this couple have been friends with our family for so long that they go to all of our family functions, even our family reunions! And anyway, anyone that can keep up with them Cleveland's is worth keeping as family anyway! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon is my cousin, so that makes her Chad and Dana's cousin, too, so they ARE family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys..I feel priveleged!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha - the feeling is mutual!! I always love seeing you and Danny :-)

    ReplyDelete