Wednesday, June 24, 2009

6-24 Good Bye to Iowa,wa,wa. Am I glad for that!!

This day is for Beau’s grandma, Banana and Grandpa Bud.

The Twin Bridges Campground was not easy to leave. The big wind buster did not take place and that was fine with us. The nite was really nice and I put away some ZZZZss. After the big hula-ba-lu, I slept in and never budged until 0625. I figured that it would be a day of wait and see but when I checked the outside, wow, it was clear, cool and time to go. I think my mind was in go slow gear cause I spent about 20min. chatting with the two fishermen before saying adios.

As I clipped along the endless bumps and narrow road I met another cycler going the other way. I stopped and we, rather I, lipped on for some time. Janet lives in Colesburg with her husband and children and they are avid cyclers. She was riding a very nice bike and told me that her husband had built it and that he builds bikes. They have biked in some other countries as they had been in the Peace Corps. They are going to move to Colorado Springs before too long.

On to or towards Dubuque, Iw. I can’t wait to get out of this State. The roads they can keep and as I talked at another bike shop, they said that most of the bike clubs from Iowa,wa,wa, go to Wis. To ride and I surely do not blame them. Amen!!! Ooops! Some of my old reservation training leaking out.

I checked with the Hwy. Patrol and tried to set a course for Manitowoc, Wis to ride the ferry across to Mich. We lifted to Platteville Wis. Found wal-mart. And found a nice city park to hang out for the nite. I must plan another route as no bicycles on the interstate. Hay!! Went for pizza in town but only a 4 as are used to pizzas like D’Aurelio’s. Another 90’ day and the index is 103. Learned that from the patrolman. We bought a clipper set to give Lady a haircut and so now she looks kinda like she may have some kind of disease but in another day or two she should be looking good. At least she is a lot cooler now. Right now it is 8:30 and still 80’ and there are some ominous looking dark clouds lurking in the southwest skies??????? By now we can handle whatever comes our way, Hay!!

Skywalker, Skywalker Buddy, I heard that you crashed and burned on you bike but that you were strong and kept riding. I’m proud of you Buddy cause I have had some very bad crashes on my bikes and you just have to remember to wear your helmet and gloves and elbow and knee protectors and they will help you form getting hurt really bad. Just keep your eyes on the road and always pay attention to what you are doing. Love you Buddy and miss you. Over and out.

When Beau was learning to talk good, Grandma Judy wanted him to call her Mema. His Grandma June wanted him to call her Manana but Beau came out with Banana and so from then on it has and probably will remain, Banana! Grandpa Bud is older than I am but has the energy of one that is much younger. They both graduated out of school in Wis. And I am not sure where but hopefully they will let us know. And June, let me know if we are close to where you folks are from. I am going from Dubuque,IA to Manitowoc and I have to travel along the side roads. I am looking at hwy 80 n. out of Platteville to hwy 60 and Portage and then easterly towards Fond du Lac and then Manitowoc. Let me know. Bud and June operate The Snack Shak at the Lakeport Speedway. For several years they had a restaurant in Lakeport at the Old Water Wheel. Their son, Mark is the father of my #1 Buddy, Beau. My wife, Judy, remembers when Mark first started school in about the second grade each of his drawing was always a red race car with the #16. He now owns and operates a auto repair shop and has a red, super modified race car with the #16. So very cool. Bud keeps busy,busy, busy and I am very pleased to be a part of this family.


View Old Chief Bicycles across America in a larger map

3 comments:

  1. Arnold, Janet came home from her ride all excited about meeting you on the road. I'm sorry I missed you myself; I have a feeling we would have 'lipped' some more about routes and potholes and diners. Have a great trip east and enjoy the tailwinds.

    Chris, Janet's husband

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber Spamber, as mom called me cause I luv SpamJune 25, 2009 at 12:50 PM

    Awww man, and yes Beau told me in the car AFTER the crash that he also had elbow and knee pads at your house that i failed to see when I grabbed his helmet and gloves. Oh well, next time! We will see if he braves the road again on SAT, as he told me last week after his crash that he was never going with me again! But by the next morning he said he would think about it...He'll go!!! haahaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved hearing Beau call Mom "Mema" -- it just really fit her. And Banana and Grandpa Bud are totally awesome! We love them and are glad that we'll have a life-long connection -- all because of one cool little dude named Beau James Marek, who is 6 years old and funny as heck! Thanks to Banana and Bud for giving Beau another loving place to call home. And Mom always marveled over Mark and all his drawings of cars, cars, cars. Mark is an awesome Dad! Hope you're doing well at the races this summer :-)

    ReplyDelete