Sunday, June 21, 2009

6-21 Happy Father’s Day to All Fathers!

I give this day to all my Family! Thanks for being there for me!

We found the city park in Le Mars, Iowa about 27mi. north of Sioux City. The park was packed with kids and people and as we checked in and found a spot we learned that there was a kid’s fishing contest taking place. A cool thing to happen on this day because two days ago we just missed a tractor parade in Laurel, Neb. As I tanked along that day I kept seeing guys and gals putting along on tractors of all sizes and colors. Most were John Deere Green (sounds like a song) I stopped to chat with a couple that were having a road side sale of stuff. They said the parade would start at 1100hrs. So I beat it on thru town as people were getting ready. Later I thought I should have stayed and joined in. Oh well, gotta keep moving along!

Back to Le Mars, during the nite the heavens again did their thing and let loose with a good downpour. We were up and closing vents, windows etc. In the morning as I was prepping to leave it was still coming down but it didn’t seem too bad so I dressed for the test and hit the road. Wow! What a beating I took this a.m. To start with Iowa does not like us bikers at all. There is no shoulder and what there is are these baseball size rocks which are not conducive at all with my skinny roady tires. The edge of the pavement has a lip that is about a foot drop so I am riding on or inside of the fog line leaning into the wind at about a 10degree tilt. As I left the shelter of the city trees the wind hit me on the right shoulder and stayed that way the rest of this short ride. The rain drenched me and my feet were squishing inside my shoes. The traffic was tolerable but I had my own thoughts on just what they were thinking as they zoomed by. The big rigs sent a gusher of water over me as they bounced by on the same bumpy type roads that were in Neb. I tried to turn myself into Razor Man as I attempted to stay on the fog line whenever a vehicle would go by. The visibility was poor as it was pouring down and then started to hail. Gail pulled into a good rest area and I had to say a thank you for that. Almost three hrs. And I just made 20mi. so I waited for about an hour and thought that it was clear enough to go some more but I only got another 5mi. and called for the chase wagon. Whew! Found this nice rest area and set up camp. Decided to hang it up for today. Heck! It’s Father’s Day anyway and I need a little rest. It is now 9p.m. and it is still sputtering drops so tomorrow will be another day. Skywalker, Skywalker hope you had a great day with you Dad and I love you and miss you. Time for angel food cake and black berries, MMMMMMMMMMMM!! Over and out.

Thank you kids for being so supportive of my biggest venture yet. Sandra for setting up the blog so that I can share some of this journey with whomever. Marilyn for taking care of my business and for being concerned about my diet and health. Amber for giving me the Buddy of a life time. This may be the first time we have been apart on father’s day but I know that we all are one on this neat journey. Love Each of You. Thanks. Dad.


View Old Chief Bicycles across America in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment