Monday, June 22, 2009

6-22 -- 20 Centuries Later!!! Wow!

This day is for Niece Teresa and her husband Chris.

From Meriden to Clarion, about 100mi.

When the alarm buzzed at 0400 I thought about them days of long ago when each morning started with roll call and a 5mi. run through the sandy hills of Camp Pendleton. Whew! Was I glad to finally come to my senses and zero in on the day ahead of me? Well, let’s see!! Heck! It’s too dark to even find the floor so I may as well stay right here for just a few more minutes. Wow! It’s 0530, up and at ‘em cowboy, oops, I mean old Chief, so I went thru the daily’s and headed off into the sunrise at 0630 and I do mean the sunrise. It had just opened up over yonder horizon ‘cause here in Iowa,wa,wa, there are no hills or mtns to rise over.

I cursed the next 70 miles for several reasons. Want to hear my side of the story? Well!!! The traffic was heavier then I thought it was going to be and it must be the route for them big rigs cause them daddies kept rolling by like the rocks along the road. They hauled pigs, cows and corn seed, gravel, cement, tractors, mowers and the lord only knows what else but I could have sworn I was on interstate 5 in Ca. The nice thing today was that they could not spray me as each passed. Then the fog set in for about 5mi. and I cringed each time I heard a rig coming up behind me. I chugged into Cherokee, Iowa,wa,wa and it was here I turned the 2,000mi. notch on my cyclo. Wow! Chee Wizzzz! Man Alive! I did it! Downhill will appreciate this one. 20 Centuries in a row!! Hip! Hip Hoo Ray! And I can still stand up after a little effort, Ha, Ha. And no leg cramps Dave! Yes!!! Celebrate this evening, Maybe??? By 1000 it was warming up, rather heating up. Gail caught me at 40mi. and it was already 85. By 11:00 it was in the low 90’s. and of course, humid. I eased along ‘til I came to a detour so I lifted around this and we stopped for an ice cream, banana split break. We zipped on to Clarion and found another road side rest where there was a natural spring flowing and as several guys stopped to fill their water jugs we got a lesson on the spring. Seems it has been flowing for as long as any of them remember and it is cold and good. The temp peaked out @ 98’ and we just hazed away the afternoon. The breeze is still moving over our sweaty bodies and cools us and I have set up the table on the lawn and got the gen going so I could get this blog posted.

I’ll have to mention last nite as it was quite the site. I had never seen fireflies! They put on such a spectacular display of illumination that I was amazed and so glad that I had this opportunity to see them in their glory. The evening turned out to be so great it is amazing how the weather changes around here. By 2000hrs. it was absolutely clear, not a breeze to move the leaves, gazillion stars out and them fireflies put on their show all nite long. Cooled off to about 55’. Steaks just about ready and I am ready for that, Skywalker, Skywalker good Buddy, Sure do love you and miss you. Over and out!

My niece Teresa is one cool gal. Her Dad, Lucky was a great brother-in-law and had to leave this world way too soon. He could do amazing things to any auto and paint them to show quality. Teresa got her talent from Him and can do amazing things with decorating and colors. She and her husband, Chris, live in Lower Lake, Ca. and she has a neat Native Curios shop in Lower Lake and Chris has an auto, boat repair shop. I have always cared for her and we have been close over the years. They both are involved in their Church and Recovery Group work and I can only applaud each for their great works. Love you folks and the girls too.


View Old Chief Bicycles across America in a larger map

4 comments:

  1. Hey dad,,,,so just had to write and tell ya, poor Beau had his first bike crash yesterday! He's been riding with me while I run. He can make 4 miles with just 2 rests! Anyway, he crashed and burned good, he was really upset adn I think more embarassed than anything. So I told him about some of our wrecks. Mine during the Ukiah tri and well,,,,,many and many of yours! hahaha. I told himm he's not officially a biker until he wrecks anyway and then he felt better. Poor guy, sucks going through the pain of being a parent sometimes, watching him get hurt hurts me more! He was well recovered today, just scraped and bruised. He'll live!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And be sure to tell him to NEVER try to "kiss" tires" with someone -- y'all will go flying @ss over teakettle and get a snazzy road rash and what feels like a broken collar and shoulder. I'm just sayin'. Are you carbing up good, Dad, or are you shrinking away to skin and bones?? Make sure you keep eating good! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail loved your phone message and I am proud of you too for the work you are doing to help Arnold do what he's doing. Know Ray is going to lose the bet and not the weight by Xmas. Arnold you could have banana splits every day and you wouln't gain a pound the way you are working it off.
    Love and miss you two. Love Ray and Betts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Betts FYI it is a lot different than people think, expect those who have been there, or here. We are having a ball and we did share a banana split the other day somewhere in Iowa-wa-wa. What a state to ride in or drive in. Since we don't travel the regular roads you see things that are not on the regular path, and you shop at stores that have just the basics. Bread, milk, meat, water, beer of coarse and a few vegggies that leave alot to be desired.
    The heat and humidity are the pits and it is worse for Arnold as we never know what the weather is going to be like. I stay behind just far enough so if he calls it only take a couple of minutes to get to him. I admire him for what he does and thank all who follow because it is everones support that keeps him going. Along with a dream. Everyone keep the comments coming. The jokes too. He doesn't always have time to read his facebook, or email so this is the best was to have him see what you think. Sorry about not getting more pics in but by the time the routine is over for the day they just keep getting forgtton. Gail

    ReplyDelete