Tuesday, June 16, 2009

6-16 Just Another Day In Paradise

To my niece, Shannon.

The train yard was just over the creek and past the cotton wood trees that looked to be older than the hills. Through the nite the whistle and rumble of the big boys would wake me up but only long enough to remember that, hay, I know that sound and that it was not the thunder from above. It was a warm nite and at 0500 I was up and getting ready. I left Gail @ 0620 and as I peeled off east on hwy 20, the first grade let me know that I will pay today for that century yesterday. My quads were heavy and not as speedy as they could be but I did kick down 71miles. Yea!!! The roads had them nasty crevices and I did take one pic just to show the world how some states have it in for us bikers. I just prey that the bike will hold together and that the tires don’t just blow apart. The towns have been monsters, like pop 40, 60, 120 etc. Elevation has been steady near 5000ft. but is now starting to lower. The sound that I hear the most is the song bird I believe is the western whippoorwill. Wild life is next to zero and the birds are few and far between. Since leaving Shoshoni, Wy, I have seen herds of antelope but now they are thinning out also. I did see one doe and her baby. There are miles and miles of hay fields and at this time of year they are green and it is super cool to see them waving in the breeze. I must also thank The Man for the wind at my back these past three days. Wow!!!

Tomorrow, I am changing bikes for awhile just to see how the road bike handles the different roads here in Neb. I wrapped more sponge around the handle bars to see if it would lesson the shock of them bad dribbles. We’ll see!!!!! I can say one thing for sure, if you ever ride this way be prepared for any breakdowns because to date there have been 3 people stop and ask if we needed any help as we were stopped along the road. One in Ore, one in Idaho,ho,ho, and one in Neb. Ha!Ha! Get it? If you ever plan to ride this way????? What? Who’s crazy enough to do that?????? Skywalker, Skywalker I think of you every day, love you and miss you, over and out.

My niece, Shannon, lives in Eugene Ore. She spent several summers when she was young and worked in the packing sheds for us. She was our stamper, extraordinaire. We have always loved her and her brothers and sisters. Her son, Josh, graduated from college and now lives in the S.F. Bay area and works in Oakland. Rachael is still in high school in Eugene. Through the years we have been very close to Shannon and made many visits to Eugene to hang out with her. She remains active as she has been over the years and we always have great times when we are together. Love You Shannon.


View Old Chief Bicycles across America in a larger map

3 comments:

  1. I remember Shannon teaching us to play War, Go Fish and a couple other card games. We had many a hilarious game of War and so much laughter. I consider her a sister and am glad she spent so much time with our family. Love you Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, I was telling one of the attorneys at work (Ted Klaasen) about your ride and he enjoyed hearing about it. I had to pass along your blog info and he said to tell you hi! I just wanted you to know that we're all talking you up back here at home and many people are inspired by your story. Keep pedaling, Father, and steer clear of crazy bumps in the road!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey grandpa its ash, I just wanted to let you know im following you too now. I wish i was there with you. I told mom i want to go to every national park in the US (if any are still open then since budget cuts are closing them down) but she said its probably impossible after i have kids. But, at that moment my mind turned to you and the places youve been and what your doing now. Your an inspiration for the life i will live. I love you very much. Dont forget to get me something super cool!!! love you dearly grampie!!!

    ReplyDelete