Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Far Out Man! Yellowstone National Park

For Pat Garcia, son of Gail
I met Carson, a recent graduate of Nebraska U. and a new employee of the KOA here in West Yellowstone and he presented me with a question that had a different twist to it and really got me to thinking. He has a degree in journalism and is going to graduate school in the fall. He asked me what was the best thing that I have seen on this journey? Man! I could not answer this one. I put him off and changed the subject and have spent a long time trying to get the answer. I may have found it today! We finally left camp at 0900 and had a good breakfast at Mike's Grill. Very great food and we split a big omlette. On to the park and from there it was one WOW factor after another. I have seen the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns and several other National Parks, but I'll have to say this, this park is something to behold! The first thing we saw was one old buffalo limping along and further up the way was a herd of his companions but he was way behind and having a tuff time moving along and I could not help but to think that this is the truth of life and that the old slowly sink into the past. We made the trip around the southern loop which was about 180mi. and I'll tell you, I just marvel at the things that are here. The steam gysers, rivers, meadows, bisons, birds, trees, eagles and sooooo much more. We got to see Old Faithful blow off some steam and an otter catch an eat a fish under the boiling water falls. Buffalo rubbing along the trees to scrape off their old winter coat and hundreds of fish feeding at the hatch and elk just laying around and chewing their cude. The young buffalo calves running around like a school yard of young kids at recess time. Every stream had several fly fishermen flipping their lines out over the water and hundreds of other tourists doing just what we were doing. Met the newley weds, David and Chelsey Petersen from Nebraska. He has a bicycle shop and so does his dad. We stood and visited for quite some time at the Continental Divide as the hail and rain fell down around us. Later at dinner at the brewery in W. Yellowstone we met Petra Brown and of all things she goes to the U. of Montana and Randy Skelton is her mentor/instructor. Randy's father is Rod Skelton of Kelseyville. Small world!!! Bruce and Shelly of Louisville, Ky. were having dinner there also and we chatted with them for a short time. Good pizza and great brews. Finally back to camp where Gail went to do some laundry and came back mad and frustrated cause the laundry was not performing as it should. Several dollars later and things were still not dry and it took twice to clean them. It is now past midnight and I am still blubbering on but the day was certainley worth it. Amen!!! Some of my old religous training coming out. Ouch!! Skywalker, Skywalker, Love you buddy and sure do miss you, over and out.
Pat Garcia is Gail's son. He lives in Ukiah, Ca. and has two daughters, A.J. and Andy Rose and a son, David. He has kept us informed as to when and how many abs he has been able to get this year. Hope he shares with us as we have not been abing this year. He put time in Desert Storm and was happy to get back home. His older brother passed away several years ago. We have become good friends and I am glad that we has accepted me into his fold and let me be a part of his family. Thanks Pat for accepting me into your world.

5 comments:

  1. Don't worry "Old Chief" it's going to take many moons for you too......sink into the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it so easy to see the things you are seeing. Can just see the old buffalo ambling along. Thanks for keeping us looking forward to the next day .
    Love ya, Ray and me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Uncle, I'm enjoying reading about your wonderful trip. Wish I was there with you. I could help Gail drive! haa haa. Be safe Love you Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I was just a wee sprite when last I visited Yellowstone and have no recollection of it all. I have just a few pictures of when Mom and Dad took me and soon-to-be-Mare. And I think it is totally amazing that you me someone who has ties to the Skeltons!! It really is an interesting, inter-connected world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i cant wait till its my turn.....

    ReplyDelete