Saturday, June 20, 2009

6-19 Poolside at Osmond, Neb.

This day is for our friends Bob and Bernie.

Newport, Neb. - Osmond, Neb. Poolside Park. 95mi. As we set up camp at Newport, we found a turtle and Gail brought it to our site and it just sat in one place for the longest time. We had our chairs out for the first time since we left Newport, Ore. Lady was very curious over this little guy and kept pawing it and just looking sideways at it. We sat around enjoying the evening and of course sipping on a cold one. Or was that #2. Finally decided to get some vittles and as we were eating I noticed that the turtle had finally moved. Gail went out to look for it but it was no where in site. She and lady looked and looked for this little critter but had no success. I think it just flew off into the wind and turned into the fireflies that came out. An unsolved mystery. We still shake our heads and wonder????

The road was fast and warm and I clipped off the miles with out too much to see except miles and miles of fields and some up and down, rolling hill country. The second little bird tried to see if it could fly through my tires as I chugged along but alas! The spinning wheel had the upper hand and the bird ended up on the road with its feet facing the sky. I stopped and checked it out and it was only dazed and after a little tlc and a good talking to the bird up and flew off. Crazy! The same thing had happened a couple of days ago.

The smell along the route was that of ethanol, spoiled hay and cow pens. I haven’t figured out how something that smells so obnoxious can taste so good when it is bar-b-qued??? The road eventually leveled off nicely and in spite of them nasty bumps I picked up the pace and cruised into the big city of Osmond. Pop 600 or so. I had just turned 95mi. but Gail had found a neat city park again so I agreed to call it a day. Almost another century! Shoot! As I checked the parking it was full and I talked with Bill for awhile and then large drops of rain started coming down. I decided I had better scoot on down the road towards the next place that was about 12 more miles. Bill come over and suggested that I just back in beside another rig and set up so I agreed quickly. Turns out he grew up in Osmond and his Mom and brother live there and his brother, Marty, is on the park board. Told us of the best place to eat in town and later we had dinner at the Tiger Bar and Grill. Very Good. I visited for a time with Bill and Marty and their families and went directly to beddy bye. A good day, ZZZZZ

A few years ago, before zoom cameras with 8gig chips, I had a super 8 camera. I liked taking movies of a lot of things that we did and over the years we used to set up the little screen and projector every now and then and watch these silent movies. The projector finally gave up the ghost and so for years we could not see these fantastic pieces of reelmanship. Hay!! One year at a gathering at the Boat House in Nice, Ca. I met Bob and Bernie. A great couple and good friends of Ray and Betts. Bob offered to let me use his good working projector whenever I needed it and so we get to see them classics again whenever the occasion calls for it. We also meet every Tue p.m. at the Boat House for dinner and sometimes I will set up and play a few tunes. These folks are priceless and thanks for the good memories and a good working projector.


View Old Chief Bicycles across America in a larger map

3 comments:

  1. Wow, fireflies! I've never seen one. That's very cool, Dad. And hearing about the birds reminds me of a couple of things. First, how many times have birds try to shortcut through Mom's kitchen window? And it brings to mind that time I was driving north on I-5 and it was a butterfly bloom. Oh Lord - that was totally horrible!! I just drove as slow as I could and cried every time one of them thumped into my car and ended their big search for the next best flower. I'm glad to hear that your crazy birds were only dazed. As soon as I read about his little feet facing the sky, I had to stop reading and call Jim. Gee, how did you end up with such an emotional child?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, speaking of birds, I did not know how nasty blackbirds could be when you go trottin' too close to one of their nests! I ran by one, I guess a little too close, and next thing you know they're squakin and dive bombing me! Freaked me out! Stay away fromt he blackbirds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth and I were talking about birds just a few days ago because of the blog and it reminded us of how we had that bird family build a next in the light fixture on our porch. I would totally forget about them and go out the front door all unsuspecting and next thing -- *squawk* *CHIIIRRRPP* wheeeee! -- all freaky feathers and dive-bombing! And wouldn't you know - they liked it so much they came back everytime they had little babies to raise. Then another bird family musta got wind of the place 'cause another nest went into the bushes just off the porch. Always gave me and Dakota a good run for our money ;-)

    ReplyDelete