Monday, June 1, 2009

Sunday, May 31, 2009

For my Brother, Joaquin.

Stinking Water Rest Stop. Just up from the Indian store. 0630 on the road. Right off, the pass, five miles of huff and puff. MMMMppphh! Finally over and into a valley of small lakes, hay fields, birds, cows and horses and hay fields waving in the slight breeze. A very cool sight but lo and behold, into each valley there has to be and exit, yes sir! There it is, across the valley, I see the cut up the side of the hill and over the top, wow!!! But I force myself to settle down and just enjoy the present for there shall be time to huff and puff. Whew! 2 ½ mi. of 4mph. Short but tuff. Finally over the top of Drinkwater Pass. 4212ft. The down from here was great. Longest and best down hill I’ve ever done. Short break at Juntura where Gail caught me and then on another 27 mi. Dry camp along the Malheur River. Neat place. Set up the generator and settled down for the night. Great dinner again by that cool Stick Lady, some blog notes, a few rain drops, neat music and another ending to a great day. I look around the area and envy the old Indians that got to live along here and hunt and fish and enjoy life so many years ago. Now it is lifeless. All along the highways there are miles and miles and tons and tons of junk and garbage. The old folks did not live like this. They took care of what was here and respected the land and life. Everything changes. Words of wisdom from my Grandmother, Ida Nason.
My brother, William(Joaquin), is just a little younger than me. We had a great childhood and have been close over the years. He and Yvonne have been together longer than time, I think. They have a great family. He now has some health problems that he has to have dialysis 3 times a week but is strong and I can only prey that he can keep going. We have some great memories and he worked for the tribe for many years. His 41 ford is still with him. Love You Brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment