Wednesday, July 8, 2009

7-8 Downhill Dream

This day is for my sis-in-law, Lisa(Brutus) Bermudez.

I really tried to stay awake last nite long enough to see if there were any fireflies and to enjoy the really cool creek that ran just behind our tepee on wheels, but, after a clp of cool ones and a good shower and a very good dinner, I drifted away to the sounds of Johnny Cash. The next thing I know, it was lite out and the ringy, dingy was saying that it was time to get the heck on down the road and so I did just that.

The cool thing about this day was the looooong, downhill runs as we dropped down from the hill country to the lower valley and the breeze was at my back also and lent a big helping hand, a bike riders dream and to boot, the shoulders were very wide and very smooth, man, this is what it’s all about.

I stopped at a couple of rest areas to pig out on a energy bar and slam down some gator aid and read the sad stories of them early settlers that them rascally Indians kept pestering. But in the end, 5,000 soldiers destroyed all of their crops and burned down their villages and I guess that taught them a lesson!!!! The great Six Nations were living in the area at the time but there is no indication of this now. This piece of history is well depicted in the documentary by Kevin Costner, 500 Nations.

At Avon I again picked up on interstate 20 and 5 as #39 ended. Gail flagged me down at the 45-mile post and after a brief map check I booked on down to the outskirts of Canandaigua, N.Y. I lifted for a ways and we found Wal-mart where we spent some time as Gail did some shopping and I started tracking my route thru N.Y. and on east. Man! It’s getting closer and closer and I can start to smell that Atlantic Water. We slid past Seneca Falls and finally tracked down a campground several miles off of 5. There are fewer and fewer campgrounds as we get further east, at least where we are. I talked briefly with my daughter, Sandra, and it may be that we can meet up at the end of my journey as she has to be in Boston for her work so we are getting this lined out. Sure sounds good to me. Skywalker, Skywalker good Buddy, I am getting closer to the end of this trip and I love you and miss you, over and out.

Brutus was the Cardinal Bird in high school and is still as full of energy and laughter as she was then. She is Judy’s sister and has lived in Lakeport all of her life. She is a one-of-a-kind sister-in-law and works for the County and if one ever needs something done or a good ball player, call Brutus. I’m glad you are there Bruty.


View Old Chief Bicycles across America in a larger map

1 comment:

  1. That Brutus!! Oh man, what can you do except laugh! People were always mystified when I called her Aunt since I am about 8 years older than her. When trying to explain, they would just get all goggle-eyed. Well, once you experience Bruty, you experience a force of nature!! She's crazy-energetic and full of laughter, she's funny as hell - I CANNOT believe the stuff that comes out of that girl's mouth. She had us screaming and rolling on the ground at Family Fun Day a few weekends ago. There's no such thing as being tired and grumpy around her -- she's blows it all away like a hurricane. Ah Auntie Lis -- you are a rare one indeed!!!!

    ReplyDelete