Saturday, July 4, 2009

7-4 Bang,Bang,Boom,Boom. Sounds like distant drums.

This day is for our Veterans!

The Family Campground became a memory as I wound them pedals and wheeled on down 66. It did rain again though not too much. The short distance I went today made me feel sorta short-lived but I really wanted to get to Sandusky, Ohio,o,o,o.

Gail pulled up behind me as I received a small flag from a guy getting ready for the day. I loaded the bike and we careened on down 66 to Ohio,o,o,o and jumped back on interstate 20. At one of the rest areas I met Richard (Smitty) Smith. He enjoys biking and we spent several minutes talking biker talk. He lives in Clayton MI. He still works so when time permits he will do more and longer rides.

I thought it would be interesting to tell about another guy at a station where we were filling up one of our propane tanks. A young, very robust dad -- waiting for ma to change the baby’s diaper -- saw me getting ready to ride. They had American and Southern flags tied to their rigs and flying in the breeze. At first I kinda thought I should not say too much to them but as I was reeling my bike out to get going, he axed me in that drawl, “how fer ya’ll ridin dat dere bike?” I told him, Maine, and he bobbed his head a couple of times and said “Where?” and I told him, southern Maine. He said “ya’ll mean out o’ state Maine?” and I replied, Yes sir. His tobacco-filled jaw opened wide and he said “Why man, that’s a fer distance to be going. Where ya’ll from?” When I told him, he really got big eyed and a large smile on his face and said “Why man, that is totally awesome. Ya’ll have a great trip.” Whew! Had me going there for a bit. Pretty cool though after all.

My biggest thought today was that some celebrating fellas might go by and throw a cracker or two but the ride was quiet and good. There was a lot more cars on the hyws today as I thought most everyone would be where they wanted to be but!!!!!!! Also, there were more yard sales than I have ever seen along any hwy. I’ll have to admit that today was the longest distance that I have lifted but I wanted to get out of dodge, if you know what I mean. We found the largest KOA that I have ever been in at Sandusky, Ohio. It has over 600 sites for campers and tents and lots of kids. Very cool place. We are buckled down for the nite and ready for the fireworks. Lady is sorta yancy, but I think she will survive.

Skywalker, Skywalker I think this is the first 4th of July that you and I have not been together. Sure do miss you and love you. Hope you have a great 4th. Over and out.

All veterans should be thanked this day. We have offered to put ourselves on the line to keep this country great and give each of us the freedoms that we have. A special thanks to all of the Native Veterans. Keep America Singing!


View Old Chief Bicycles across America in a larger map

3 comments:

  1. Aw jeez, Dad, I'm SO relieved that no idiots tossed crackers at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just thinking about how stupid people can be just gets my blood boiling! Grrrrrrrr.

    We had a really nice 4th. Johnny & Rennie picked us up and we went to a jazz festival in SF. Then bbq'd at their house then zoomed over the hill to watch the fireworks in Half Moon Bay. Then back over the hill for dessert and more visiting. Razzed Isaiah a bit -- lord, he's going to be 20 in a couple of days!

    Then I spent almost all day Sunday sleeping!! Rolled out of bed at 11, did a few things, ate lunch and then fell back into bed at 1:00 for 4-1/2 hours! Woke up long enough to do a little grocery shopping and sacked out again around 9:45. Sure felt good. It's just about 10:00 now and I should hit they hay. Trying to get to work extra early in case I have to report to court for jury duty tomorrow afternoon. Love you Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Arnold and Gail, this is Dot, I am enjoying all of your Blogs, they are great. You make it so it feels just like we were with you. I really enjoyed the boy from down south, I can just hear him. Where are you going to end up at? and when? or do you know any of that? I'm glad you've been able to stop and enjoy the trip, it would have been bad if you would have to be on a tight schedule. Take care, and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hope to end up in lower Maine, we will see. We just take one day at a time and let the wheels go where they can. Thanks for the note. Nice to hear you enjoy the blog. G

    ReplyDelete