Monday, July 6, 2009

7-6 Three States in One Day! Jeez!

This day is for Matt and Carlene Yacinich.

From Geneva, Ohio to N.Y. State Line all on hwy 5.

Again Gail told me that the nite was filled with lightning and thunder and rain but I did not hear all of that. I did hear some rain drops thru the nite but to me it seemed like they were just the soft rain drops falling softly against the window. (Sounds kinda like a song) I didn’t even know that she got up and closed the vents and some windows but I guess I was building my energy up for the days ride, Ha! Ha! A good excuse I think.

I sat out for awhile last nite just watching the cool fireflies. They are just so neat, flashing little lites flipping all over the bushes and trees.

I lingered this a.m. for some unknown reason and finally got going at0730. The road was good and the traffic lite and I clipped along singing a song, I Hear a Train a Coming, etc. In the township of Ashtabula the signage got a little confusing but I finally got on track and before I knew it I sneaked up on Pennsylvania. The breeze really kicked up and it was all at my back and it steamed me along and before long I was going thru Erie, Pa. The signs were lacking and I ended up on a dead end street but not as dead as Gail went through later. I back tracked about I mile and finally found the path. Gail side tripped and went over some cobble stone streets that were tipped rather sharply and crossed a different bridge but we both got thru. Later thru the town of Erie, we both wondered if we would get thru. The bike path wound around and along some crazy routes but eventually we did meet at some side road tavern and just by luck I think. Makes for good laughs though. Ha! Ha! Ha! I kicked along and as I come over one small hump in the road, there was Gail parked near a golf course. I was at 76mi. so we decided to seek shelter and after I racked my bike we drove about ½ a block and there was the State Line Cmpgrd. The Lady got us a spot and we are beered, showered, fed, bloged and ready for dream land listening to our new co of Roy Orbison.

Skywalker, Skywalker good buddy, I went through 3 states today. I am in upper West New York now. Love you and miss you, over and out.

Matt is my nephew and is the second son of my sis, Janice. He is a journeyman electrician but he and his wife, Carlene, own and operate a road flagging business in WA state. He spent several years as a millwright in a packing house before getting into the electrical field. They both are very hard workers and will always succeed in whatever venture they may get into. They are proud grandparents now and I know just how they feel about the young guy. We will see you when we get back up there!


View Old Chief Bicycles across America in a larger map

2 comments:

  1. there was an old chief and his lady named gail- they spent the day by the erie canal, come a ki yi yippie yippe yah yippee yah come a ki yi yippie yippie yah, sounds like a song to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK people -- the maps are caught up. I had to guess in a few spots where Dad might be -- hopefully I'm on track!! Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete