Friday, July 3, 2009

7-3 Back In the Saddle Again (sounds like a song to me, Aye?)

This day for my nephew Mike and his wife, Sharon.

I think that the few days off gave my bod a new lease on the bike life as the 70mi melted away like snow in the sun. I was wet and very cool the first 20 miles and then the rain eased off and the drizzle let up and at the 35 mi post, it actually started to warm up.

I happened to see the trailer at the junction of 10/66 where there was a Huge flea market in progress and there I had Gail buy me a burger and coke. She checked the place out as I kept the wheels turning and about 12mi down the road there was another flea market and I’ll be darned if I didn’t find her looking around there. She had been good up to this point and never even stopped at an antique shop but she was making up for lost time I guess. Good thing the pickup and trailer are stuffed or else who knows what would be going along with us????

At Six Lakes I loaded up and we looked for a lay over spot but our first attempts were not successful and the signage along the roads was meager or non existing. As we were backtracking Gail spotted a sign and we found The Family Campground at 2851 Edgar Road, Edmore, MI. 48829. The grounds are set around several small ponds and there were many children swimming and fishing and running around and riding bikes and it was a very neat place. We were let in by Cindy Stratton and Carole Nevills talked with us for some time. They were very pleased to hear about my ride and opened the grounds to us. They own and operate the campgrounds. Mr. Nevills started the camp several years ago and daughter Cindy worked with him and when he was taken by cancer she continued to run the grounds and has done an outstanding job with it and our thanks to all of you for your hospitality.

Mike Yacinich is the son of my elder sister, Janice. In high school he was an outstanding swimmer and collected many ribbons over the years. He can consume a hefty meal to this day but also works at the level that he burns these calories to zero. He is one neat guy to have on your side and when we go hunting he always has the snacks to fill everyone around. He has some very cool acreage on the Rez and really enjoys going out and being in and with nature. His wife, Sharon, faces some health problems that slow her down some but always has a smile and a welcome. Her son, Ryan, is in college in the Spokane area and is an outstanding golfer to boot. I enjoy being with Mike and he always checks on me to make sure I can keep up with him. "Hay, Unc. Are you alright?" as we hike along the ridge in the snow and wind and cold. Pow!! "Wow! That’s a great shot!" Love You Guys.


View Old Chief Bicycles across America in a larger map

2 comments:

  1. What happened to the map? It was fun to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who said that??! Dang - it's tough work piecing together my Dad's journey, trying to use the map pointer to figure out "rode 30 miles, hit the 40-mile marker, checked out some stuff, put on another 12" as well as "stopped at a wide spot on the road". I've had to print out most of his posts and piece it together backwards. And let me tell ya - that can give a girl a headache!!! Anyway, I'm working on it, I'm working! I've got it updated to 6-25 now and hope to finish up tomorrow night. Just spent nearly 4 hours getting that done, so now it's off to bed. Glad y'all are enjoying the maps!!! Does my heart good to know all that work is paying off -- thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete