Monday, July 13, 2009

7-13 Chapter One, Done.

I put off doing the Ocean Ceremony until today as it is now 2 months since I left Lakeport. My cyclometer shows 3,211 miles. Last nite, after we finished crying, we went to Ken’s for the big dinner of Lobster and we toasted several times at camp and at the restaurant. This morning we slept in till 0730 then cleaned up and had strawberry waffles at the campground restaurant. We lazed around till about 12:30 then geared up and set off to do the official ending. We finally found the beach area that would allow us to have Lady on the beach and it turned out to be the same beach that we did our ceremony at while we were here last fall and I think that was too cooooool!!!!! It was 83’ and clear and there were many beachers enjoying the day but we went ahead and I rode my bike up the street and Gail got the camera set and so we have the last digit on record. I have been able to keep my cool so far, but again I think that I have not fully felt the ride is done. As I talked with my girls yesterday, I had a very hard time to keep from crying like a baby and I feel the same now. The messages I have gotten from some of you are just so awesome and I will still have to reach deep down inside to come up with the right and honorable response. We will stay in this KOA until Thursday morning before we start west and as each day goes by I will still comment on the blog so all can keep up with us as we head for home. Two different couples talked with us as we were at the beach and the one couple is also at the KOA but we have not seen them as of yet. The young couple we met as we were leaving the beach was very interested in what we were doing and we talked for quite awhile. Tim is a teacher and has taught around the Chicago area for seven years but now going to Law School in Portland, Ma. He is a tri-athlete and is training to do an Iron Man tri later this summer. He was interested in what I have done and hopes to do the same thing at some point in his life. Bridgett is from the Chicago area also and they both were so glad to have left the city life behind and now live in Portland. We will remain in touch thru the internet. Bless both of you and may your dreams become realities. We went to Bailey’s for the Lobster and Gail came out with a arm full and so the evening meal will undoubtedly be Lobster, French bread and Downhill Dave Bibes. Thanks Dave. Words are sure hard to find right now so for this evening, good night, sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite, if they do beat them till they’r black and blue, love you, see you in the morning!!!! Skywalker, Skywalker good Buddy, today is the end of the bicycle part of this journey and I am looking forward to seeing you when I get home. Love you and miss you, over and out.

2 comments:

  1. Uncle Arnold,
    I can not find the words that will tell you how very proud, excited and honored we are of you.
    ..........CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!
    We all feel like we have been on this journey with you. Many nights you have been the topic of conversation. "Did Unc blog today?" Where is he?"
    "someone get the map." Thank You for taking us along for the ride.
    Have a safe trip home. We can't wait for you to come to Washington and sit around the kitchen table and tell more of the story.
    We love you. Chad, Marnee, Miranda and Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pops -- Congratulations!!! We are so proud of you and excited that you got to fulfill a dream. I love that you persevered and saw this through.
    We did the same thing as Chad, Marnee, Miranda, Spencer: "did Dad post something today? where is he now? what did he see today? any more laughing cowboys? I hope there weren't any suicidal birds out there today! hope Dad's sleeping good. hope he's eating well."
    The phone calls that I had with various loved ones as we discussed you and your journey will be with me the rest of my life. This amazing Father of mine is just too much for words, but what you have accomplished over these past 2 months will brighten my heart and soul forever.

    ReplyDelete